General points to consider
- Nature Research cannot accept white papers that resemble primary research papers or reviews of primary research literature.
- All submissions are required in English.
- Missing any submission deadlines may unfortunately limit the copy-editing or layout service that can be provided by Nature Research.
- Please note: If the sponsor material supplied does not meet the specified requirements, the sponsor should be prepared to make changes to the content in order to comply with white paper requirements and re-supply material within 2 working days to avoid missing production deadlines.
- All contributors will have the opportunity to review fully formatted proofs with any corrections returned within 24 hours. Unfortunately, there will be no further opportunities for review or submitting of changes beyond this point.
- Should not exceed 13 words.
- Should be specific to research activity of organization or include name of organization.
- Authors names should be listed in full.
- Additionally, the full mailing address for each affiliated institute or business should be provided.
- All authors must be in the employ of the contributing organization.
- The article’s introduction should start by describing your organization’s interest in the field and finish by describing your objective and what you hope to achieve.
- Submissions should not resemble research papers, review articles or commentary articles (do not use subheads for ‘Results’, ‘Discussion’ etc).
- The paper should be used to highlight the research at your organization or institute, which is aligned with the topic of the supplement, with specific reference to the research at your organization in the opening and closing paragraphs.
- The pages should not detail original research findings, but discuss your work in a summary form.
- Background scientific information should be kept to the minimum of necessary detail; the primary objective of a white paper is to demonstrate the research at your institution and your involvement in this field.
- Length must not exceed 5 pages (maximum 800 words per page). This includes any figures, figure legends, tables and boxes.
- Cite no more than 20 references, numbered in the order cited.
- Cite figure panels or tables in strict sequential order in the text.
- The text will be English language copy-edited for grammar, spelling and typographical errors and checked to ensure guideline requirements are adhered to.
- Each legend should start with a brief title that summarizes the main point of the figure.
- The legend should describe the panel completely. All abbreviations, symbols, etc. should be defined or explained in the legend. Do not repeat information in the text.
- Contributions should include no more than 5 figures (1 per page is suggested).
- One figure equals: one image OR diagram OR chart OR table.
- Please provide figures in EPS or PostScript (PS) file format. Photographic images should be provided as TIFFs or JPEGs in CMYK and at 300dpi at the final published size.
- Text-based figures should be provided at 600dpi at the final published size.
- All submissions must be accompanied by your organization’s logo, sent as an EPS or a PS format file, preferably in CMYK format and at 300dpi at the final published size.
Example White Paper