Academy in Impressive Academic Presentations
This workshop is available to be delivered face-to-face or virtually.
A conference is an excellent way for researchers to establish professional networks with other researchers and journal editors in their field – networks which will be important in establishing their reputation and building international collaborations. But to do so, researchers need to present with confidence and emphasize their topical and technical expertise. Our ‘Impressive Academic Presentations’ training academy can help your researchers make effective slides and posters, develop their verbal and non-verbal presentation skills, and handle questions from the audience – building their confidence to present at a conference.
- 1-day workshops, delivered by an expert Nature Research trainer. Available to institutions globally
- For up to 30 early career researchers (or researchers who have yet to participate in many international conferences), from all disciplines*.
- Highly interactive and practical, with discussion and exercises. Attendees are asked to bring prepared slides and present a summary of their research using the slides to the group.
- Receive a post-workshop report containing researcher feedback.
- Importance of conferences
- Discusses the importance of conferences in networking, promotion, identifying trends, and establishing collaborations
- Reviews how to identify a good conference and when is the best time to attend
- Discusses the advantages of presenting unpublished research to further improve its quality before publication, as well as the advantages after publication to promote awareness and increase downloads and citations
- Poster presentations
- Focuses on producing and delivering impressive poster presentations
- Highlights the benefits of posters compared with slide presentations, and how to capitalize on these benefits
- Reviews how to make posters that are clearly organized to logically guide conference attendees as well as communicate the importance of the study
- Discusses how to present posters effectively in a crowded and noisy conference environment
- Slide presentations
- Covers how to make a slide presentation that will effectively communicate the significance and value of a study
- Review the importance of a logical storyline when preparing the slide presentation to keep the attention of the audience
- Discusses how to make clear slides to discuss the motivation, findings, and implications of the study
- Highlights ways to maximize PowerPoint to efficiently make professional looking slides
- Professional presentation skills
- Covers how to present to audiences with confidence to establish trust. We first review the importance of practice and ways to do so more effectively
- Highlights non-verbal strategies to establish confidence before reviewing verbal strategies to improve the clarity
- Discusses how to handle Q&A sessions effectively to further establish credibility and expertise
- Presentation activity (face-to-face workshops only)
- An opportunity to use what they have learned in the workshop to present their 3 slides in 5 minutes to their groups, while the others in the group will complete a feedback form for the presenter.
- Discussion on what was positive about the presentation and what could be further improved
- The trainer will move from group to group to listen to various presentations and give further advice
Reach out to our team for pricing and more information
*Note, that the academy does not discuss publishing in conference proceedings, as commonly done at computer science and engineering conferences.